Invisalign is a great alternative to traditional braces, especially for those who are looking for a subtler method of treatment. Their nearly invisible appearance makes it easy to go about your day without worrying if others might notice. But when it comes to removing clear aligners, how can you do it without making it obvious and without damaging your trays? A local dentist is here to share a few easy tips that can help.
When to Remove Your Aligners
It is important to remember that Invisalign aligners must be worn 20-22 hours each day to avoid a delay in treatment. This means you should expect to wear them almost all day and only remove them when it is time to eat, drink, or clean your trays. By taking out your aligners, you will avoid possible damage caused by biting down and chewing. You’ll also reduce your risk of staining, as particles and bacteria can transfer from your teeth to your aligners if you’re not careful.
Ways to Remove Your Aligners
To avoid any possible damage, loss, or embarrassment when taking out your aligners, there are several Invisalign tips in Indianapolis that can be helpful, such as:
- Relaxing – This means making sure you remain calm while attempting to remove your trays. Too much tension and stress can make the process more difficult.
- Warming your mouth – Consuming anything cold before removing your trays can make it harder. Instead, keep your fingers dry, and open your mouth for a few seconds before attempting to take out your trays.
- Working from back to front – Taking your trays off should start by removing them from the molars, as these can be the hardest areas to reach. As they begin to detach, start working your way toward the front of your mouth.
- Using additional appliances if necessary – Aligner hooks are great tools if you need assistance removing your trays. These unique products are especially helpful should you have attachments as part of your Invisalign treatment.
- Swap out trays in the evening – By making the switch to a new set right before you go to bed, you not only sleep through any discomfort you might experience, but you’ll also find that your trays are easier to remove in the morning because the teeth will have already shifted.
Don’t be discouraged if you find that your Invisalign aligners are a bit more difficult to remove than you might have originally thought. Adopt one or more of these tips and watch as your treatment becomes easier and more attainable over time.
About the Practice
Indy Dental Group is a Gold Plus Invisalign Provider. Our dentists are skilled and highly trained to treat patients with Invisalign, which results in straighter, healthier, more beautiful smiles. Patients who come to our state-of-the-art facility for Invisalign can expect a welcoming and comfortable experience, complete with the latest in advanced technology. To find out more about our practice and expert team of dentists, contact us at (317) 846-6125.