Invisalign: A Clear Solution for Adults and Teens
If you are dissatisfied with the alignment of your teeth, there has never been a better time to undergo orthodontic treatment. For teens and adults, Invisalign offers the most advanced clear aligner system in the world -- and more than 4 million people have already benefited from their clear braces. No other clear braces treatment is backed by so much data and experience. Keep reading to learn more about how it works, what it’s like to live with Invisalign, and whether or not clear braces are right for you.
How Invisalign Works
Invisalign works using a series custom-made, clear plastic aligners that fit closely around your teeth. Each aligner is designed to place pressure on a different area of your bite, gradually moving your teeth horizontally and vertically with consistent pressure according to a treatment plan that is created by your dentist.
You will wear each Invisalign aligner for one to two weeks before advancing to the next in the series. The technology uses a multilayered SmartTrack® material for maximum comfort and effectiveness. Routine visits with your dentist every six weeks will help to ensure you are progressing through your treatment as planned.
When your Invisalign treatment is complete, you will need to wear clear retainers to keep your teeth in the proper alignment. The Vivera retainers are made of translucent materials which are as subtle as your Invisalign trays.
Benefits of Invisalign vs. Traditional Braces
For people who are interested in clear braces, Invisalign offers a number of advantages compared to conventional metal brackets and wires. Some of the most significant benefits of Invisalign include…
- Invisalign is made of sturdy but translucent plastic, which is almost invisible while you are wearing it. People close to you may know you are undergoing orthodontic treatment, but casual acquaintances and colleagues may never notice your Invisalign aligners.
- Removability makes life with braces far easier. Conventional braces are affixed to your teeth and can only be taken off when the treatment is complete. With Invisalign, you can take the trays out to eat, clean, and before limited special occasions, like big meetings or presentations. Just make sure you wear Invisalign for the recommended 20 to 22 hours each day.
- People are at a higher risk of developing cavities and gum disease with metal braces, as it may be difficult to brush and floss effectively around the fixed hardware. Thanks to removable Invisalign, however, brushing and flossing are as easy as ever.
- Smooth plastic is more comfortable than metal brackets and wires, which may rub blisters in the soft oral tissues. The only thing you are likely to feel throughout your Invisalign treatment is slight soreness from your teeth shifting position.
- Invisalign requires fewer visits to the dentist throughout the treatment compared to traditional braces, which makes it a far more convenient option for busy adults and teens.
Why Straight Teeth Matter
If you think getting braces is just about making your teeth look great, think again. Teeth that line up properly promote better oral and overall health. It can be difficult to brush and floss around crowded teeth, which significantly raises your risk of developing cavities or gum disease. Bite alignment issues can also affect your jaw health, leading to difficulty opening and closing your mouth to eat and speak. People who have a misaligned jaw are also more likely to grind their teeth at night.
Because your teeth and gums are closely linked to your overall wellbeing, getting braces could be the best thing you ever did for your health.
A Day In the Life with Invisalign
Living with Invisalign is a breeze once you get used to it. The plastic aligners are very comfortable, so you should not have any trouble wearing them for the recommended 20 to 22 hours each day. Simply make sure you clean your Invisalign aligners (and your teeth) thoroughly after each meal and at night and in the morning.
- Oral hygiene with Invisalign: It is easy to brush and floss your teeth thoroughly thanks to Invisalign’s removable aligners. Make sure you clean the trays at least once daily with the Invisalign cleaning kit or your toothbrush and non-abrasive toothpaste.
- Invisalign at work or school: Because Invisalign is practically invisible, you can continue to speak and smile with confidence throughout the treatment. You can even feel free to remove the aligners when you really need to, like before a big event or presentation.
- Eating with Invisalign: You don’t have to worry about modifying your diet to avoid hard, crunchy, or sticky foods with removable Invisalign. Just make sure you store the aligners in their case during meals and snacks to avoid accidentally tossing them in the trash.
- Invisalign for athletes: The smooth plastic of the Invisalign aligners ensures you can continue to play contact sports without worrying about damaging metal hardware (or your soft oral tissues). If you need to wear a mouthguard, simply remove Invisalign and play your heart out on the field or court!
Who Is Invisalign For?
Invisalign is a wonderful option for many patients who could benefit from orthodontic treatment. The most complex cases may still need to be treated with conventional braces, however.
Treatable cases include:
- Gapped teeth
- Overbite, when the top teeth bite too far over the lower ones
- Underbite, when the lower teeth cover the upper teeth
- Open bite, when the upper and lower teeth do not meet together
- Overly crowded teeth
- Crossbite, when the upper and lower teeth are both misaligned
Adults and teens alike can benefit from clear braces with Invisalign. For teens, the compliance indicators help mark when it is time to switch to the next aligners for a more effective treatment. The only way to know for sure whether or not you can take advantage of this clear braces treatment is to schedule an appointment with your dentist providing Invisalign.
Getting Started with Invisalign
Every single Invisalign treatment Indy Dental Group provides is custom-made for each patient, and to ensure the perfect fit and most discreet look possible, we always begin by taking an impression of a patient’s teeth. To do this, we use our iTero Digital Scanner, which is about the size of a pen. It’s able to quickly take several close-up images of the entire mouth, and on a nearby monitor, you can watch as sophisticated software pieces everything together to create a highly-detailed impression. The entire process is fast, comfortable, and never requires retakes, saving valuable time.
Our team then uses this impression to formulate a patient’s treatment plan, and all of this information is sent to an Invisalign lab so a patient’s trays can be made. After a couple of weeks, the patient will return to our office to pick them up so they can begin straightening their teeth right away!
Schedule an Appointment Today!
Properly aligned teeth look great and are good for your overall health, too. If you are interested in learning more about Invisalign and whether or not clear braces are a good option for your smile, please do not hesitate to get in touch with the Indy Dental Group. Request an appointment online today!